Ultimate Traffic Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Traffic (Classic Version) Forums > Technical Support For FS9 and FS2002
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Legal Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpecher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legal Question
    Posted: March-31-2018 at 3:59am
Dunno if any of the Flight1 people actually still read these old forums, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

For the last three weeks I've been working on rebuilding the original Winter 2003 schedule that comes with the UT Classic installer. After experiencing some seriously weird AI behaviour, like LET 410's riding across the ground instead of flying, I took a good look at the database and noticed some serious blunders in them, like aforementioned LET's having a service ceiling of 1 and Tupolev Jets having cruising speeds of 270kn as opposed to the 400 that for instance an AN-24 is configured with. Whoever provided those data did obviously not know the slightest thing about airplanes. 

What I did was convert/import the entire UT database into a MYSQL database. That also allows for easier correction of wrongly assigned airports and weeding out codeshare duplicates etc. 

The question now is - Is it allowed to make the corrected data files available to the community or not? For anyone without a legal copy of UT they'd be useless anyway, so I don't see any potential problems in that regard, but to make sure I don't do anything illegal, I thought I'd better ask beforehand. 

Cheers,
Dan "Airbrake" Pecher
ScottecLEMD View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottecLEMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2018 at 5:30am
I did the same with Ut2.
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2018 at 7:03pm
I would need to check with dev and the publisher on this.  Should have an answer for you by early next week because of the holiday.
Keep the Blue Side UP!

Jeff Smith --x-O-x--
Flight One Software
Sales Support
Roger Ramjet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Ramjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 7:40pm
I would love that! I just reinstalled a stock FS2004 and after many years, Ultimate Traffic. I always loved the time tables and route maps. One of the things I can't change are the airlines in the database and one of the other things I don't like is how un-compiled original traffic still shows up on the status board. How did you go about editing the database Dan?
dpecher View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dpecher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 12:33pm
The databases of UT Classic are uncompressed and unencrypted binary files. Working out the format in a hex editor was relatively easy. I then wrote a program that migrates the data into a database and exports them back to datafiles after doing repairs. 
Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 3:05pm
Hi,

The problem could be if the schedule data itself is made public. If it is aircraft configuration data, that should not be an issue.

Exactly what data would you make available?
Steve Halpern

Flight One Software
Roger Ramjet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Ramjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by dpecher dpecher wrote:

The databases of UT Classic are uncompressed and unencrypted binary files. Working out the format in a hex editor was relatively easy. I then wrote a program that migrates the data into a database and exports them back to datafiles after doing repairs. 

Well a little out of my field of expertise but thanks!
dpecher View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpecher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:10am
yep, the schedule data would definitely be a problem, which is why I considered that. Basically, pretty much all data are faulty in some way, even seemingly easy things like the equipment list or the airport info (which for instance lists Khanti-Mansiysk in Russia as Malmoe, Sweden)

I think those data could be provided as whole files as they are of no use to anyone without UT classic and the associated schedule data. 

The schedule corrections are two main types: 

a) removal of codeshare duplicates (like Aeroflot flights to Larnaca showing up as flights of Cyprus Airways with Russian planes)

b) Equipment or airline code corrections (for instance Lufthansa Cityline flights being listed as mainline flights)

These things could easily be provided as patch files (bundled with a patch utility). Owners of UT can use those to modify their existing data files while anyone else would have no use for them without the original data files. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic