Ultimate Traffic Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Traffic Live > General Discussion - Non Support Topics Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another pre-buy question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another pre-buy question
    Posted: December-02-2018 at 12:02pm
Hi!

Having stepped from FS9 to P3Dv4 I find I need fresh traffic...

My greatest difficulty is that I don't have a permanent internet connection so I'm wondering about system requirements.

Flight1's product page has 'The "Live" aspect of this latest version makes AI traffic evolve based on conditions set in the simulator' which sort of implies by omission that a permanent connection isn't necessary. I guess a connection is needed for download, update and registration but that would all be ok.

Is that the case and will UT Live work well offline?

Thanks,
D
Sivart2000 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sivart2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 1:30pm
Not sure about the answer to your question but I'd like to offer some pros and cons since I also have just switched from FS9. I used GAIT in both FS9 and FSX with some WOAI mixed in. Great traffic, loooooong load times.

Pros
1)Models and paints not bad
2)Since AI is "injected" from outside P3D, you don't have a bunch of AC in   your simobjects folder so loading time is fast.
3) I haven't found a better solution to replacement traffic for P3D V4

Cons
1)Limited freighter traffic, no FedEx or UPS, two of the world's biggest fleets.
2)Freighters often park at gates with almost no activity on cargo ramps.

3)Traffic disappears over the ocean or other large bodies of water making overseas flights very lonely.
4)Traffic will sit at gates for long periods of time and then all start movement at the same time.

I have found some workarounds on forums for some of these issues, and you are able to add your own traffic. However, I feel that a product that I pay for should be working properly "out of the box", not requiring further work by me to fix bugs. The lack of major freight carriers is a HUGE issue for me. Although I can understand omission of minor airlines, no FedEx or UPS or Atlas is inexcusable.

Honestly, I'm not happy with UT Live but it's the best out there for P3D V4. I had MyTraffic also but it had c**ppy models and paints and seemed to impact my frames a little more.

T
Dave_YVRATC View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave_YVRATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Sivart2000 Sivart2000 wrote:

2)Since AI is "injected" from outside P3D, you don't have a bunch of AC in   your simobjects folder so loading time is fast.

Cons
1)Limited freighter traffic, no FedEx or UPS, two of the world's biggest fleets.
2)Freighters often park at gates with almost no activity on cargo ramps.

3)Traffic disappears over the ocean or other large bodies of water making overseas flights very lonely.

The AI aircraft is still read the same way as it was in FS9 and FSX. Load times are increased over having no AI, however, they are much better than if you have a huge AI collection.

There is FedEx, UPS and Atlas Cargo addon's available for free in the forum, created by one of the users. It includes repaints and easy to follow instructions.

Traffic DOES NOT disappear over oceans, that was a UT2 bug and was fixed a long time ago.

UTL will work fine with no connection to the internet. 

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sivart2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 2:30pm
I am aware of user created traffic and will probably use it. My issue lies with a user having to create and me having to install something that should already be included. I have P3D V4 to fly, not to spend hours trouble shooting or modifying a payware add on product.

And, the over water bug does still exist, at least for me. I just did SFO to HNL and lost all traffic once out over the Pacific. Sometimes I can get it to reappear by resetting UTL but I should not have to interrupt my immersion to do so.

I'm sure there are folks who are happy with this product and not knocking anyone who does.But for me, it's just a band aid until there is a better option. I find something new to disappoint me each time I use it.

Simple old WOAI and GAIT provided great immersion for me with very little maintenance for many years with FS9 and FSX. It's like a car; the more gee whiz options, the more there is to break.
defaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 3:30pm
Thank you both for your replies.

I'm definitely one of nature's lorry drivers and prefer freight to passenger liners. One of the reasons I bought P3D was for the C-130 (old XP machine broke... Captain Sim's installer doesn't work in Win 10). I've had well over a decade with FS9; I'm into my second month with P3D. It's such a long step that I'm struggling to get to grips with many aspects of it.

On the other hand, I've spent uncountable hours modifying airports, repaints, swapping models and altering flight-plans in the original UT & FS9 so am perfectly content to add to, extend and tinker with the new installation. Supposing freighters do park at gates, I guess I'll be able to modify their parking type to ramp or cargo, or add correctly numbered bigger parking spots on the ramps.

Knowing that addons are available is a big selling point.

The other (obviously) is 'UTL will work fine with no connection to the internet.'

So... works offline, has good looking models and a reasonable density of traffic, and is amenable to modification. Oh, and has a forum where questions actually do get answered Wink . I think it's sold.

D

Dave_YVRATC View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave_YVRATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 3:55pm
Keep in mind that GAIT isn't a good example as it's just a collection pirated materials.

As for not including FDX, UPS or DHL etc comes more from the dev not having access to the data. For it's faults, UTL is still by far the best all in one option for AI.
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sivart2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 5:29pm
Yikes! I did not know GAIT was pirated, got it from a buddy. As far as the freighter traffic, obviously it can be added as evidenced by the user developed packages. My issue is that a user shouldn't have had to do it.

Also, I am flying over the Pacific right now with traffic set at 70% and there is not one ai.

And, I agree that UTL is the best option right now and maybe forever. I do think, it is clunky, glitchy, poorly supported and overpriced. I think people should be made aware of the limitations before they purchase.
defaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2018 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Sivart2000 Sivart2000 wrote:

I do think, it is clunky, glitchy, poorly supported and overpriced.

Have you never tried Traffic Global?

D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic