Ultimate Traffic Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Traffic (Classic Version) Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Notebook PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Notebook PC
    Posted: May-15-2006 at 12:56pm
Hello,

I know this is a little off topic, but I am in the market for a Notebook PC for when I am on the road with my new job. Desktop PC's are up to nearly 4Ghz processor speeds, but the fastest Notebook i can find is 2.2 ghz. Is this comparable to a fast desktop, or is this the same as a 2.2 ghz desktop? Also, I have been looking at dell's or hp's. Any opinions?
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 1:41pm
Notebooks are generally much slower than desktops, and usually their graphics cards are inferior, They will usually have less RAM. 2.2Ghz is rather slow by current standards. My desktop has an Intel Pentium 4 3.6ghz.

You will gather from this that they are less than ideal for FS and UT, and also I suppose they are not the best for any processor-intensive games.

They are, however ,very useful for internet, word-processing, etc., and are often used for displays using Powerpoint or similar.

They will always be more expensive than similarly-specified desktops.

David Hanstater
Administrator.
siuav8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 1:46pm
Thanks for the response. Being on the road a lot (2 to 3 weeks at a time) with my new job, I really wont be able to lug a joystick around for FS anyways. I just want something I can use for email, internet, and photos that I take, and maybe a few games.
Craig View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 1:52pm
I just setup an IBM Thinkpad PentiumM 2.4GHz laptop with 2GB and a 80GB HD for a couple users at work.

Graphics is where it will hurt, some newer ones are coming out with better Nvidia integrated graphics, but laptops are stll far behind desktops.

For a good, inexpensive laptop for internet use and the other stuff that you mentioned, the Dell Inspirion is a good choice.  My brother got one with 2.4ghz Celeron, 512MB, wireless, CDRW/DVD for under $900.
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 3:32pm
One trouble is that there is very little space inside a small, lightweight laptop, and this makes cooling difficult. Fast components tend to generate a lot of heat, and there is nowhere to put the cooling fans.

Desktops have fans for cooling the processor and graphics cards, and perhaps even extra fans to keep the whole inside cool. Thgis is difficult for laptops, so they have less powerful components generating less heat.

I have a so-called 'laptop', but it is actually very heavy. It has a 2.7ghz processor, nVidia graphics, and 15" screen. It also has a very noisy cooling fan. It has built-in Harmon Kardon speakers, but the sound is tinny. It's also rubbish for FS2004.
David Hanstater
Administrator.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic