Ultimate Traffic Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Traffic (Classic Version) Forums > Ultimate Traffic in FSX - Classic Version
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AFCAD & Ttools for FSX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFCAD & Ttools for FSX
    Posted: October-29-2006 at 5:04am

I have heard today from Lee Swordy, the author of the essential AFCAD & Ttools for FS2002 & FS2004, that he will not be doing any further work on these utilities, and will not be developing any versions for FSX.

However, other designers are working on the problem, but it looks as if it will be some time before anything is ready.

More information is available in the FSDeveloper.com Forum.

David Hanstater
Administrator.
John Goodwin View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Goodwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 1:16am
That is a great shame the man is a genius
PetziK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetziK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 11:48am
That is very very sad - AFCAD is one of the view very useful tools for FS9 - Can't just anybody tweak it to make it work with limited functions for FSX - simply to adjust some runway infos or simply to adjust some frequencies, or ILS?
Lima Oscar XRay November: Oscar Echo - Papa Kilo Romeo five miles southwest,
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 12:14pm
Apparently AFCAD for FS9 does work in FSX as well.

However, developers are working on an enhanced version which will add other functions specific to FSX, such as dynamic ground vehicles and more visual scenery.

Some time ago Lee Swordy said that he was thinking about developing an enhanced version for FS9 which would include easy placement of graphic objects. It never happened, I presume because of his other commitments, but we do have Runway12, E-Z scenery etc. which do that anyway.
David Hanstater
Administrator.
RFields View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RFields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2006 at 8:32pm

Can't just anybody tweak it to make it work with limited functions for FSX

That would be a great disservice to everyone.

AFCAD is not compliant with FS9 standards. MS did not release the SDK's and documentation for the XML configuration until months after Lee had worked on and released AFCAD.

There are many things which AFCAD does for FS9 which cause problems.

Jim Vile has posted a thread on the ProjectAI forums of the things you lose in FSX if you use a FS2004 AFCAD file - basically most of the changes and updates. This is especially true of navigational updates.

We are using AFCAD in a very important role to code XML for FSX airport changes. Using FSUIPC for FSX, we trace and modify airports in AFCAD.

We then decompile the AFCAD into XML code and copy / paste the runway and taxiway information (parking is a type of taxiway node).

That way we can maintain the new elements in FSX, and the functionality we had in FS2004.

Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 8:44am
Reggie,

Please can say who the 'we' is in your message.

Are you working on a new AFCAD-style program for FSX, now that Lee Swordy has retired from the scene?
David Hanstater
Administrator.
RFields View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RFields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 10:30am

I'm just monitoring the stuff on fsdeveloper.com

We - myself, Jim Vile and a few others who hang out at PAI - are using AFCAD to generate the index numbers - taxiway path and some of the data for FSX airports.

We decompile the AFCAD - extract the data we want - and past it into an XML file. Make FSX type changes - and compile.

Since to add / change one parking code requires that the entire taxiway network - runways, taxiways, nodes, taxiway paths, taxiway designations - all be compiled into the new file - it's very useful.

We've created working crosswind runway airports with fake runways, changed designators, etc.

Much of the code in this file was initially generated by AFCAD - using FSX with FSUIPC to link the two.

http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.com/FlightSim/FSImages/AFCAD-Examples/KORH_v6.zip

One thing you will see in the error file is that the four fake runways are more than 3,000 meters from the airport reference point - of course.

I could change that parameter - but the FSX compiler appears to not "stop on error" for minor errors like the FS2004 compiler.

Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 5:32pm
I'm afraid that's a bit out of my depth, but it sounds fantastic.
David Hanstater
Administrator.
freelancer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freelancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2006 at 8:46pm

David,

Maybe these threads will help.  The fog is now starting to lift for me a little bit.LOL

http://www.projectai.com/discuss/index.php?topic=53054.0

http://www.projectai.com/discuss/index.php?topic=53071.0

Mark

FSX
FS2004
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2006 at 12:46pm
Thanks, Mark. I've had a quick look. They are a long way from AFCAD, though.
David Hanstater
Administrator.
John Goodwin View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Goodwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2006 at 9:59pm

Until an AFCAD editor along the lines of AFCAD221 comes along, then my view is, if you are not a compitent programmer then leave well alone. These short cuts are fine but are a long way from being ideal.

Parking in FSX is available in large numbers, and although no airline coding is there it is possible to achive a reasonable AI  world using them.

hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 5:05am
I agree with that.

I was thinking more about the need for modified AFCADs which would be needed for enhanced airport sceneries, e.g. new terminals.

Although FSX has a better set of airports than FS9, things do move on, and changes are constantly taking place.
David Hanstater
Administrator.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic