Ultimate Traffic Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Traffic (Classic Version) Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding new airports to Ultimate Traffic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding new airports to Ultimate Traffic
    Posted: August-02-2007 at 3:49pm
I'm starting this thread so we can continue discussing the collaborative effort to add new airports to FS9 and UT outside the Screenshot Forum. Get up to speed here.

As I understand it, if an airport is not in FS9/UT, then traffic to and from that airport will not be compiled. So more airports mean more traffic!

It looks like Matthew is gonna work on a list. Once we have a list, we can see if Afcads already exist. If they don't, we'll have to make them. I'm quite handy with Afcad, so I'm certainly willing to do that. Trouble is finding info on the more elusive airports, but with all the bright minds here...

Then we need to install the Afcads and run CollectAirports. After that, it's a question of generating some traffic using the new airports and importing said traffic into UT, where the actual adding of the airports to UT's airport database will happen. Once they're in there, they can be used. Meaning that flightplans to and from them will be compiled and will show up in the sim.

masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 6:08pm

The list below is only for the airports which appear in one or more of the Spring/Summer 2007 schedules, but are not in the UT airports database. They may or may not already be in FS9. There are additional airports which are in the UT database but are not in FS9, or are not assigned to an ICAO code. Further details of those airports can be found here:

http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=52

Before I post the list of airports, this link might come in useful: Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_by_IATA_code:_A

242 airports in all, so it should be enough to keep us busy for a while Big%20smile. To get us started, the last airport on the list (ZQW) is Zweibrucken Airport in Germany, ICAO code EDRZ. It's in FS9 by default.

ABC
ACR
ACZ
ADF
AEH
AFS
AFZ
AGM
AGX
AJN
AKA
ALL
ASA
ATM
AVA
AVV
AZA
AZS
BDR
BEP
BGW
BIM
BJT
BKY
BLD
BNI
BNS
BRA
BSX
BUX
BWE
CAC
CAH
CEG
CFK
CIF
CIH
CKH
CKZ
CRA
CSH
CUP
CXI
CYW
DAT
DEC
DED
DHM
DIW
DMK
DOL
DOU
EBA
EBL
EDO
EIE
ENE
ENU
ENW
ENY
EOZ
EPA
ERH
FBD
FCN
FKQ
FOE
FRC
FZO
GDO
GEL
GLN
GME
GMI
GOQ
GRV
GSM
GVR
GWL
GYA
GYD
GYL
GYY
HCN
HEA
HLA
HLH
HOK
HTG
HTN
IAG
IGS
IKA
IKS
ILG
ILR
ILZ
IPN
IQN
ITB
IVR
IXP
IXY
JDO
JGN
JGS
JKL
JLR
JPR
JRB
JYR
JZH
KAB
KAD
KCF
KCM
KCT
KDL
KFG
KHY
KIW
KLH
KND
KNG
KOS
KOV
KOZ
KRY
KSF
KUU
KVB
KWZ
KYK
KYZ
LCR
LCX
LNS
LUV
LZN
MEY
MFK
MLG
MNI
MOG
MOV
MSW
MUZ
MYE
MZI
MZR
NAH
NAO
NAU
NAV
NAY
NBC
NEC
NKM
NTQ
NVI
NWA
NZH
OAM
ODE
OLH
ORI
OSM
OVS
PAG
PFQ
PHG
PIN
PKK
PKP
PMK
POJ
PZI
QSF
QUB
RBQ
RCH
RDN
RIB
RJA
RJL
RMQ
ROO
RUS
RVT
RZP
RZS
SFE
SKE
SLI
SOB
SOP
SRJ
SRZ
SST
STS
STV
TAT
TBW
TCD
TCR
TGO
TOM
TSS
TYL
UKB
ULU
UPB
URE
USQ
VCD
VCL
VCS
VGA
VGZ
VIG
VOZ
VPY
WBM
WOL
WRZ
WUX
YBR
YBV
YCR
YCU
YEH
YEI
YGV
YKF
YLY
YNG
YNP
YRS
YTM
YZZ
ZBL
ZQW

(Edit: Removed FHE, MMT, PHI & WEA)

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 7:21am
I'm gonna start on the list, I've created a Works spreadsheet that looks kinda like this:

Going from A to Z as you can see, maybe someone else can start from Z.

I didn't think the list would be so long, so I'm thinking about a different approach now. It's gonna be a lot of work if we all have to add these airports to UT by entering the info from the spreadsheet. What if just one of us did that and then shared the three airport*.dat files? Others would only need to copy those into the Data folder and recompile their traffic.

My dat files have already gone through PART ONE of the thread you linked to, so maybe they're good starting points?

BTW, good additional source: http://www.mapping.com/airportcodes.html.
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 4:19pm
Okay, this is what I've got so far.

Should be pretty clear. The ICAO codes are the FS9 ICAO codes. In most cases they're the current official ones as well, some are not. As you can see, a lot of the airports are actually in FS9 already.

Some airports I was unable to find info for. Or only partial info. The thread that was linked to earlier probably contains info about missing Afcads (especially Chinese and Russian ones), I have not checked yet.

If you have any changes or additions, post them here and I'll update the list. We should probably give ourselves a while to scrutinize and complete the list before we continue.
BSM_Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSM_Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 5:43pm
Some Norwegian airports:

Kjevik (ICAO: ENCN, IATA: KRS), City: Kristiansand
Flesland (ICAO: ENBR, IATA: BGO), City: Bergen
Aro (ICAO: ENML, IATA: MOL), City: Molde
Gardermoen (ICAO: ENGM, IATA: OSL), City: Oslo
Vaernes (ICAO: ENVA, IATA: TRD), City: Trondheim
Langnes (ICAO: ENTC, IATA: TOS), City: Tromso
Evenes (ICAO: ENEV, IATA: EVE), City: Harstad-Narvik (not to be confused with ENNK/NVK)
Framneslia (ICAO: ENNK, IATA: NVK), City: Narvik (not to be confused with ENEV/EVE). EVE is located next to the main highway running between the cities of Harstad and Narvik, about 80 kilometres/50 miles from Narvik, while NVK is about 2 kilometres/just over a mile from downtown Narvik.
Bodo (ICAO: ENBO, IATA: BOO), City: Bodo
Vigra (ICAO: ENAL, IATA: AES), City: Aalesund
Kvernberget (ICAO: ENKB, IATA: KSU), City: Kristiansund
Sola (ICAO: ENZV, IATA: SVG), City: Stavanger

All of these airports are in FS9, and should be in UT as well.
Ultimate Traffic user since November 2006

JC Denton: I know your UNATCO killphrase: Laputan machine.
Gunther Hermann: I am not a mach...
JC Denton: Sticks and stones.
[Hermann explodes]
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 6:15pm

AVA is Anshun Airport in Anshun, China. ICAO unknown - not in FS9

BGW is Al Muthana (Baghdad Intl) Airport in Baghdad, Iraq. ICAO ORBS - already in FS9 (it's also already in UT, but under SDA - for Saddam Intl Airport)

BJT is Bentota River Airport in Bentota River, Sri Lanka. ICAO unknown - not in FS9

FCN is Cuxhaven/Nordholz Airport in Nordholz, Germany. ICAO ETMN - already in FS9

GSM is Dayrestan Airport in Gheshm, Iran. ICAO OIKQ - already in FS9

HCN is Hengchun Airport in Hengchun, Taiwan. ICAO RCKW - already in FS9

HLA is Lanseria Airport in Johannesburg, South Africa. ICAO FALA - already in FS9

HTG is Hatanga Airport in Hatanga, Russia. ICAO unknown - not in FS9

HTN is Hotan Airport in Hotan, China. ICAO ZWTN - already in FS9

IKS is Tiksi Airport in Tiksi, Russia. ICAO UEST - already in FS9

JGS is Ji'an Airport in Ji'an, China. ICAO ZSJA - not in FS9, but included in the file china_1.zip available from AVSIM

KHY is Khoy Airport in Khoy, Iran. ICAO OITK - not in FS9

KOZ is Ouzinkie Airport in Ouzinkie, Alaska, USA. FAA 4K5 - already in FS9

LCX is Liancheng Airport in Longyan, China. ICAO unknown - not in FS9

LZN is Nangan Airport on Nangan Island, Taiwan. ICAO RCFG - not in FS9

I think that completes all of the A-M airports apart from FHE - and it seems FHE is a mistake and shouldn't be on the list. I accidently picked up the details of a FlyHello flightplan I imported. Sorry! Embarrassed

Matthew

masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 6:33pm

Originally posted by BSM_Williams BSM_Williams wrote:

Some Norwegian airports:

Kjevik (ICAO: ENCN, IATA: KRS), City: Kristiansand
Flesland (ICAO: ENBR, IATA: BGO), City: Bergen
Aro (ICAO: ENML, IATA: MOL), City: Molde
Gardermoen (ICAO: ENGM, IATA: OSL), City: Oslo
Vaernes (ICAO: ENVA, IATA: TRD), City: Trondheim
Langnes (ICAO: ENTC, IATA: TOS), City: Tromso
Evenes (ICAO: ENEV, IATA: EVE), City: Harstad-Narvik (not to be confused with ENNK/NVK)
Framneslia (ICAO: ENNK, IATA: NVK), City: Narvik (not to be confused with ENEV/EVE). EVE is located next to the main highway running between the cities of Harstad and Narvik, about 80 kilometres/50 miles from Narvik, while NVK is about 2 kilometres/just over a mile from downtown Narvik.
Bodo (ICAO: ENBO, IATA: BOO), City: Bodo
Vigra (ICAO: ENAL, IATA: AES), City: Aalesund
Kvernberget (ICAO: ENKB, IATA: KSU), City: Kristiansund
Sola (ICAO: ENZV, IATA: SVG), City: Stavanger

All of these airports are in FS9, and should be in UT as well.

Hi BSM_Williams,

I'm not sure you've understood what we're trying to do here. The list of IATA codes I posted was only for those airports which do not appear in the UT database. The idea is that if we can find information on all of them then we can import fictional flightplans into UT to add them into the database - have a read of this thread to see why. If you are able to fill in any of the blanks from Mike's list here it would be much appreciated! Smile

Matthew

BSM_Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSM_Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 5:15am
My mistake... I should have known better than to post something half asleep Embarrassed

I've had a look round the UT database, and the airports that I've found are not in there are

Tuven Airport (ICAO: ENNO, IATA: NTB), City: Notodden (one daily flight to Bergen, operated by Bergen Air Transport)
Rygge Airport (ICAO: ENRY, IATA: RYG), City: Rygge (This airport is scheduled for opening in October 2007)
Vaeroy Airport (ICAO: ENVR, IATA: VRY), City: Vaeroy (There used to be an airport here, but it was closed in 1992, and a heliport was opened at the site of the former airport in 1997.)
Thompson Airport (ICAO: CYTH, IATA: YTH), City: Thompson, State: Manitoba (Served by Calm Air and Perimeter Air among others, see http://www.thompsonairport.ca for more airlines)
Ultimate Traffic user since November 2006

JC Denton: I know your UNATCO killphrase: Laputan machine.
Gunther Hermann: I am not a mach...
JC Denton: Sticks and stones.
[Hermann explodes]
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 6:43am
That's still not quite what this project is about. We've looked at the FS9 2007 UT schedule. Which airports in those schedules are not in the UT Airport database? That list you can see above. We aim to add those airports to UT (and to FS9 if necessary), so they can be used by the new schedules.

Assuming Matthew's list is complete, your airports are not relevant right now. We concentrate purely on what's in the UT schedule, but not in the UT airport database.

Everything else is for each user to do themselves, depending on their needs and wishes. We try to do what everyone will benefit from, because everyone starts with the UT schedule. We also keep it doable this way, with a clearly defined list. Because once you start adding...

I've updated the list by the way. Most Chinese airports are in the version 2 zip file that was linked to. Some without official ICAO codes have gotten a fake code from that guy, I've adopted those fake codes.

Baghdad International Airport will have to be added with a different ICAO or UT won't see it as new (right?). After that, we simply need to change the airport assignment of BGW to ORBS. So that both will point to ORBS.

LCX - Liancheng Airport, in chinaairports_version_2.zip (download and look at the Airports in China pdf file), there's a Liancheng / Liancheng AFB, with ICAO of ZSLO, is that the same airport?
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 9:15am

Originally posted by Mike... Mike... wrote:

LCX - Liancheng Airport, in chinaairports_version_2.zip (download and look at the Airports in China pdf file), there's a Liancheng / Liancheng AFB, with ICAO of ZSLO, is that the same airport?

Yes, looks like it is. Well spotted! Clap

For Baghdad International, the ICAO code changed in 2003. ORBS was the old code but it's now ORBI. We can use ORBI in the fake flightplans as that's not used in FS9.

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 12:43pm
I'm wondering how far we should go with this. My personal preference would be to further limit this project to airports that already are in FS9. Adding those that are not in there increases time and effort considerably. Not just for us, but for those who want to benefit from this as well. (Downloading Afcads or making them, installing them, backing them up for future reinstalls, running collectairports, etc... VS. Just dropping three airport dat files in the data folder and recompiling.) That means leaving out a lot of chinese airports...

I had similar reservations when I first encountered this thread. That's why I never went past Part One. We should still work on the "Not in FS9" info and make it available like in that thread.

Currently that still means 174 new airports available to UT though!

I dunno, something to think about.
Chris Peschke View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Peschke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 5:44pm

There was a change to Baku Heydar Aliyev International Airport.  The current ICAO is UBBB but the old IATA is BAK and that is how it is in FS9.  The new IATA code is GYD and so corrupts UT's database so no flights are showing up there.  I'm trying to figure out how to amend the IATA. Clearly you chaps are on to something so here's hoping this little snippet of data will help!

Chris

Any landing you walk away from...
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 6:45pm
It does, I'm gonna use UBBC for it, not used in FS9 yet, then after it has been imported as GYD, GYD can be changed to UBBB so that both use the UBBB airport in FS9.

I've started thinking about flightplans, I've tested a couple apps, currently seeing what Random AI FP Gen (raifg203 - FlightSim.com) can do. Description says, input airports (our new ones) and aircraft file, generate flightplans. Sounds just what we need.
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 7:45am

To fill in the remaining gaps from N to Z:

NZH is Manzhouli Airport in Manzhouli, China. ICAO unknown - not in FS9

OLH is Old Harbor Airport in Old Harbor, Alaska, USA. FAA 6R7 - already in FS9

PFQ is Parsabad-Moghan Airport in Parsabad, Iran. ICAO code OITP - already in FS9

RZS is Sawan Airport in Sawan, Pakistan. ICAO unknown - not in FS9

TSS is the East 34th Street Heliport in New York, New York, USA. FAA 6N5 - not in FS9

UPB is Playa Baracoa Airport in Havana, Cuba. ICAO code MUPB - already in FS9

VCL is Chu Lai Airport in Chu Lai, Vietnam. ICAO unknown - not in FS9

VCS is Co Ong Aiport on Conson Island, Vietnam. ICAO code VVCS - already in FS9

WRZ is Wirawila AB in Wirawila, Sri Lanka. ICAO code VCCW - already in FS9

YEH is Asaloyeh Airport in Asaloyeh, Iran. ICAO code OIBI, although it's in FS9 as OI0C (letter O, letter I, zero, letter C)

YTM is La Macaza Airport in Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada. ICAO code CYFJ, already in FS9

YZZ is Trail Airport in Trail, British Columbia, Canada. Already in FS9 using ICAO code CAD4

Also, to fill in some other details:

Dharamsala Airport (DHM) is also known as Kangra Airport, ICAO code VIGG - already in FS9

I think DIW should actually be Dickwella Airport in Dickwella, Sri Lanka. It appears on the Sri Lanka Airlines schedules with flights from Wirawila. However, ICAO is still unknown and it's not in FS9

Ching Chuan Kang Airport (RMQ) has ICAO code RCMQ and is already in FS9

Kobe Airport (UKB) has ICAO code RJBE

YCU should be Yuncheng Airport in Yuncheng, China as it's on the Shenzen Airlines schedules. ICAO code is ZBYC, but it's in chinaairports_version_2 as ZL1B

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 10:41am
Great job!

I've sorted my spreadsheet on ICAO codes now. And I'm going through the UT airports database to see if any of them are in there, in which case we need to import with a fake code. Some we know, but I've already come across another. HTMU - MUZ - Musoma Airport. HTMU was wrongly assigned to MRE in UT, so I've assigned **** to MRE. Which frees up HTMU. Continuing...
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 12:00pm

HTMU was wrongly assigned to MRE in UT, so I've assigned **** to MRE. Which frees up HTMU. Continuing...

That creates a new problem, as MRE is also in the schedules! It should have ICAO code HK0A (HK zero A)

I've spotted some things which don't look right in the current list we have:

CFK is on the Aigle Azur flightplans, so I don't think it's Chefornak Airport. It appears to be an old code for Chlef Airport in Chlef, Algeria. ICAO code is DAOI and it's already in FS9

NKM is Nagoya Airfield, not Nagoya Airport. It has ICAO code RJNA but is not in FS9

If you haven't already spotted it, UT incorrectly uses WIOK for Ketapang Airport (KTG) in Indonesia. This airport should have ICAO code WAWW - but it's not in FS9

MFK should be Matsu Beigan Airport in Matso Islands, Taiwan and not Mafeking Airport. ICAO code is RCMT and it's already in FS9

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 12:45pm
Okay, one thing at a time.

- MRE, correctly assigned to HK0A in UT

- CFK, info updated in spreadsheet

- NKM, name changed to Airfield for the sake of clarity, however, I'm keeping RJNN, because FS9 knows it as that, it's old ICAO code. And ultimately, the ICAO code makes no difference for AI. However, RJNN is currently used by NGO. Which was this airport's old IATA code. The new airport (not in FS) RJGG has taken over that code. I've already found a scenery for it. Install scenery, CollectAirports, in UT change NGO to RJGG, then RJNN can be used by NKM and all traffic should go to the correct airports. Agreed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagoya_Airfield

- KTG not being WIOK, do you have a source? I have one that says it is: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/airportDetails.do?airport=KTG

Although this site says KNG is Ketapang is WIOK. This site says KNG is a totally different airport called Kaimana Airport, no known ICAO.

- MFK, info changed   

By the way, a new version has been uploaded, now sorted on ICAO codes. It's coming along nicely. Gonna look for some sceneries/Afcads now.
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 5:02pm

That'll teach me to trust Wikipedia! I was going on this info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketapang_Airport but now I'm not sure that it's right. I found this site confirming that KTG = WIOK: http://www.the-airport-guide.com/airport.php?airports_id=9603

Assuming that KNG is in fact Kaimana, then there is an airport in FS9 with that name using ICAO code WASK.

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 6:44am
I've found several more sceneries/Afcads, info has been added. I've split the list into two. Airports that are in FS9 and airports that are not. Airports that are, completely updated dat files will be provided. Only two new sceneries will need to be installed to free up some ICAO codes. New airports available for UT, 185!

Airports that are not in FS9, all possible info will be included, instructions, fake flightplans, etc... But it'll be up to the user to do the rest.

I think this is a good compromise.
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 11:33am
Check out the latest versions and a first attempt at a Readme.

UT Airports 1 (in FS9 + exceptions), UT Airports 0 (not in FS9), Readme!

If we can finalize UT Airports 1, I can start making some flightplans and importing those.

Also, is it just me or do we only have to share AirportAssignments2004.dat? I think that's the only relevant file.
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 1:26pm

Looks good Mike! There's a few things I would add to the readme file:

1) It's not necessary to install the same scenery specified in the readme file, provided that an AFCAD file exists in FS9 for the relevant ICAO code, e.g. there's an alternative version of VTBS included in Jan Martin's Jetways and Terminals package (jtacof12.zip at AVSIM).

2) If anyone has progressed beyond part 1 of Adrian's Unassigned Airports thread, then by installing the revised .dat file they will lose any assignments made from part 2 onwards. The options are either (a) to reassign them, or (b) to not install the .dat file but be prepared to do lots of typing when importing the fake flightplans!

I'm not sure what the implications of using the revised .dat file are for people who have imported additional flightplans into UT where those plans contain airports that are not in the standard UT database. The safest thing would be to go for option (b) in point 2 above, but it may well be sufficient to remove and then re-import the .apf file. I'll check.

Do you need any help with finding the time differentials from UTC for all of the airports?

It would be good if someone who hasn't been following the thread too closely could look through the readme and give some feedback on whether the instructions are easy to understand. It looks pretty clear to me, but it would be useful to get this confirmed by someone new.

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 1:48pm
1) Good point. Will add a note.

2) Good point also, I've been thinking about it myself. I'll definitely include a note. Option (a) is probably the least work. A pain, but not as big a pain as adding 186 new airports...

As for other new airports they may have added. I'd suggest re-importing the apf file.

If only Flight1 made the tool available that would allow editing of the dat file directly. You know, I think I'll just PM John Goodwin to see what the possibilities are.

As for the time, where does UT get the data that is displayed initially? From a FS file? In which case I would just keep that data, even if faulty. There's a great site, http://www.timeanddate.com/, but I'd definitely appreciate some help with that.

Ditto on the third pair of eyes.
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 11:55am
No go on the tool. There is no tool. It was all done manually...

I've also asked him about the timezone info. I'm wondering if it used at all. Hope he can clarify that.

I've got some plans ready, imported them into UT, was then prompted to enter info for 186 airports...

Perhaps everything will be DIY. That would take care of the many dat file variables.

Edit

You know, perhaps we're approaching this the wrong way. What if we split up the flightplans into 186 pieces. A plan for each airport. That would leave it up to the user to decide precisely which ones to add and how fast, etc...

Hmmm... That would also allow for the recombining of the yes and no lists... And it would also allow people to combine certain plans. Say, I wanna install airport X, Y, Z. Just merge FlightPlans X, Y, Z and import.
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 1:25pm

As for the time, where does UT get the data that is displayed initially? From a FS file? In which case I would just keep that data, even if faulty. There's a great site, http://www.timeanddate.com/, but I'd definitely appreciate some help with that.

For new airports, the timezone defaults to GMT-5, i.e. US Eastern Standard Time. I assume that the time offset allows UT to convert from UTC (used in the flightplans) to the local times displayed in the timetables.

If an airport is missing from the .dat file then it causes an error message when you try to remove an .apf file which uses it. This means it may have to be DIY for entering the airport information. There's a couple of other things I want to try to see if there's a way around it.

If the fake flightplans are simple, e.g. a single line for each new airport with the airports arranged alphabetically by ICAO code, then you could just make a single flightplans file and tell people to delete the rows they don't want. It would be easier to delete rows from a single file than to combine lots of individual files into one.

Let me know which airports you need help with finding the timezones for.

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 3:07pm
I've added the regions as well. Adds some ease to the operation. I can't seem to find British West Indies/Montserrat anywhere. Nor Kiribati. Nor Iraq...

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 6:40pm
UT Airports, merged, region info added (except for the three mentioned above), time zone info added, DST info added.

masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 5:16am

Iraq is in Southwest Asia, Montserrat is in the Caribbean and Christmas Island is in Asia (off the coast of Indonesia).

Thanks for all the hard work in getting this far Clap

Matthew

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 8:52am
I mean, in UT, when you have to select region and country, I can't find those three anywhere. Not under the regions you mention either.

Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 11:19am
Okay, let's call this a beta package.

There's still the matter of the three regions. All else is pretty much finished, it would be great if a couple of people could test it out. Just pick an airport, follow the instructions and see if it works.
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:32pm
Mike,

Iraq is missing in UT. There are no Iraqi registered airlines in UT either. Iraq is included in FS9, and Bahgdad Airport (ORBS) is in UT's database, and has some traffic, all cargo-only, I think.

BWIA is under Caribbean/Trinidad & Tobago. Christmas Island (YPXM) is listed in FS under Western Australia. It's not shown separately in UT.

I think that all it means is that if you want to import an airline based at one of these regions, you will have to choose the nearest available country to base it. It makes no difference in FS itself, and seems to affect only the list of airlines when you compile.

I'll have a go at your beta package for a couple of airports. I see no reason why it shouldn't work, as I've used fake imports before to add an airport.

One point to be careful about. When the 'Add Airport' window comes up during the compile process, it is important to get the airport information correct, because if you get it wrong, it's permanently fixed in UT's database, and all you can do is re-install UT.

David Hanstater
Administrator.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic