Ultimate Traffic Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Traffic (Classic Version) Forums > Technical Support For FS9 and FS2002
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airport Assignment issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airport Assignment issue
    Posted: December-05-2007 at 11:17am
Hi all,

I am having a problem with Air Midwest out of KPIT going to KLNS, Lancaster, PA. on the time table, it only lists LNS as LNS. No airport name or anything. I checked the airport assignment tab and search for it, but nothing comes up. I checked in FS to make sure that the airport was actually there, and it is, but no traffic shows. Plus the flight times in the timetable are about 10 hours of flight time for the flight to complete, when the actual time should be about 45 minutes max.

any thoughts?
Tim
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 12:11pm
First, to show how it can look:

LNS is not in Ultimate Traffic by default. So how did it get in your installation?

If I generate a timetable for US Airways opb Air Midwest, it says LANCASTER, PENNSYLVANIA (LNS) and not just LNS. (Times don't seem right, but there's not much that can be done about that.)

If I go to the Airport Assignments utility and type LNS, all the right info comes up.
FlyingFinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingFinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 12:27pm
Jesse, EFHK
Thank you for flying Finnair!
siuav8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Mike... Mike... wrote:

First, to show how it can look:
[IMG]uploads/temp/20071205_120453_Capture_001.jpg" />

LNS is not in Ultimate Traffic by default. So how did it get in your installation?

If I generate a timetable for US Airways opb Air Midwest, it says LANCASTER, PENNSYLVANIA (LNS) and not just LNS. (Times don't seem right, but there's not much that can be done about that.)

If I go to the Airport Assignments utility and type LNS, all the right info comes up.

when i go to the airport assignments and type LNS, nothing comes up.
Tim
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by FlyingFinn FlyingFinn wrote:

Mike,

LNS is one of these airports. http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=3997

LOL! I know.

If that's what he used, then something went wrong and well, if something's wrong with the airports database, there aren't that many options...
siuav8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 1:41pm
I have never tried to add the airport before. I was looking at the status board yesterday and discovered it.
Tim
masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 2:31pm

Tim,

Sorting out airports like this one was the main reason behind the work that was done in the thread that Jesse linked to. If a timetable only shows the IATA code of the airport, then that means it's missing from the UT database and needs to be added using the dummy airline method. UT "knows" that there's a flightplan there, but until you add the airport details to the database there's no way to assign the ICAO code and no traffic will appear at the airport.

If you want to get traffic at LNS you will need to download this file from AVSIM and follow the instructions in the readme.

Post back if you have problems and Mike or I will try to help.

Matthew

siuav8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 3:17pm
so pretty much just make up a flightplan and immport it and put the airport info in?
Tim
siuav8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 3:58pm
thanks for your help guys! solved the problem!
Tim
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 5:05pm
If a timetable only shows the IATA code of the airport, then that means it's missing from the UT database

That's news to me. You learn something new every day.

I wrongly assumed then, that the airport was already in his database. My bad. Anyhoo, glad it's working. Not sure what's up with the wrong times, but at least the aircraft shows up somewhere.
Mike... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 5:54pm
Speaking of which, doing some Afcad work on KSLC, generated a timetable and in it an ABX flight to RIV (RIV), which is this airport.

Shouldn't it have been part of the list you made, Matthew?

I've seen some more of these airport come to think of it. How did you make that list then anyway?

Perhaps it's time for a Part Deux.

masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 2:14pm

Originally posted by Mike... Mike... wrote:

Speaking of which, doing some Afcad work on KSLC, generated a timetable and in it an ABX flight to RIV (RIV), which is this airport.

Shouldn't it have been part of the list you made, Matthew?

I've seen some more of these airport come to think of it. How did you make that list then anyway?

Perhaps it's time for a Part Deux.

Maybe it is LOL

I made the list by writing a VBA macro to read through the schedule file as if it was a text file and pull out a list of what looked like the three letter IATA codes. I then did a check against the airports already in the database to get a list of the ones that were missing. As the schedule file is huge and is also not a proper text file the code had to "guess" in some places at what was an IATA code and what was three random characters that happened to look like an IATA code. It's possible it guessed wrongly!

I'll try to work out why it missed RIV, but I'm probably not going to be able to look at it for a week or so. Let me know if there any any others that you spot in the meantime.

Matthew

masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 6:36am

OK, it was easier to find the problem than I thought it was going to be.

Basically I have a whole load of extra schedules that I've imported into UT. Some of those include airports which weren't originally in the UT database so I've added the information when importing. RIV was one such airport, so when I checked to see whether it was already in the UT database I found a match. Therefore it didn't get added to the list of missing airports.

In order to get a full list I will need to do a check against the the files from a fresh install of UT. As it happens I have a new PC on order so I should be able to do this in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know what I find.

Matthew

masped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 10:50am

Just to say that I've now done a check against a fresh install of UT, and I've added my findings to this thread.

Matthew

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic