Ultimate Traffic Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Traffic (Classic Version) Forums > Ultimate Traffic in FSX - Classic Version
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FSX Tweaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FSX Tweaks
    Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:37pm

A correspondent on the EvolveAI forum suggested that the following tweak might help frame rates, because it seems that turning down autogen doesn't affect trees, and these can have a serious effect on frame rates.

<<<I'd suggest the trees and buildings tweak. That is, adding these two lines to your FSX.cfg under the autogen heading:
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

Set them to a very low setting. As long as you don't set either to zero, it'll work. I had to get drastic with my Athlon XP2700 and set them like this:
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=60
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=100

The trees seem to disregard the autogen slider, and they are the big culprit in dragging framerates down. Ground vehicles such as service vehicles are also a huge drag on framerates. I'd guess that they're pretty heavy on the polygons like the default aircraft, so they'll need to be replaced by someone eventually. Just a fire truck driving by gave me a 5 fps hit. I guess their star beta testers must have missed that. Luckily, you can turn off all ground vehicle traffic
.>>>

I've seen some downloads in the  AVSIM  FSX-Scenery library which add replacement autogen, which might be an alternative.

David Hanstater
Administrator.
Chris Peschke View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Peschke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:09pm

This fix worked like a charm for me. I believe it was Matt Fox who posted the same directions in the avsim forums.  He also mentioned that if you go to your autogen file and either deleted the default.xml file or changed its name (I don't like deleting, I changed to to default.xml.original), that would help framerates as well.  Apparently, the default.xml file, and Matt I apologise if I mis-explain this, is used to draw complex polygons and hogs up to 40% of the resources.  I implemented these fixes and I get the same performance that I get out of FS9.

Cheers

Chris

Any landing you walk away from...
siuav8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:05am
will this work in FS9?
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:31am

Why not try it and let us knowLOL!

More seriously, these items are not included in fs9.cfg. It is not a good idea to attempt to edit this file manually unless you know what you are doing, and always do a backup first.

I suspect that the best way to alter settings in FS9 is via the FS9 Options>settings menu, which modifies fs9.cfg anyway.

FSX seems to work differently. The settings are different, and it appears from various comments that turning of Autogen doesn't affect trees, so you have to manually edit FSX.cfg.

There's a lot of work going on with FSX, and the forums are full of it. Try the AVSIM Forum for starters.

Incidentally, on the FsDevelopers.com website there is work going on to develop a much-needed AFCAD programme for FSX. No-one seems to have heard from Lee Swordy, the brilliant creator of AFCADs 1 & 2 for FS2002 & FS2004. I've read a comment that he is no longer on the FS scene, but can't confirm it. I've sent an email to him, but no reply so far.

David Hanstater
Administrator.
CAL2177 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 4:04pm

I don't see an AUTOGEN heading in my FSX.cfg. Should there be one already or do I need to add one?

John

John
CAL2177 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 4:22pm

Never mind, I found it. It goes under the [TERRAIN] heading.

John

John
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 4:51pm
I couldn't find one either. I think he meant these lines to be added under the [TERRAIN] heading. That's what I did.

I also followed another tip and changed the filename of the file 'default.xml' to 'default.bkp' in the FSX/Autogen folder.

I don't know exactly what effect this had on the scenery, although obviously it is less dense, but it certainly increased the framerate dramatically. I was getting framerates of between 3 & 4 at EGLL, which made flying impossible. Now I'm getting a minimum of 10+ and the sim runs smoothly. I'm getting framerates in excess of 25 in the less dense areas. And that's with UT's traffic installed, although with the slider set to about 60%.

I think that a bit of careful tweaking in the settings menu will enable me to get a satisfactory compromise between speed and realism.
David Hanstater
Administrator.
CAL2177 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 8:55pm

Yeah, I did that too. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Too many honey-doos to do today.

John

John
makisxenat View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makisxenat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 4:57pm
How ( what procedure ) you changed from xml to bkp

Thanks
philipgm View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 7:07pm

I have the AMD 64 x2 dual processor in my computer and yesterday I  installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer utility. Not a good idea. The FPS went from 25 fps to about 18fps. I have since removed the optimozer and back to normal again.

Cheers.

hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 7:57pm
This is the first I have seen on this forum using this advanced processor.
Can you goto EGLL and tell us what frame rates you get there, please?
David Hanstater
Administrator.
samrec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:46am

I have and  AM2 4600+ and has no tweaks on FSX at the moment. I will try what you requested back in Nov and tell you here.

My full pc specs are detailed on my signature.

cheers

AM2 4600+, 2gb DDR2@667mhz, Asus 7600GT 256gb, Asus M2N-E SLI Deluxe, 2x250gb, 1x500gb SataII
samrec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 9:43pm
hi again did the test on a chopper to be able to hover around the airport and uploaded 4 shots of it. I got from 9.1 to 18 fps while moving around.

you can see my FSX settings and the shots http://games.samrec.ca  click on gallery and go to the FSX section under flight simulator.

cheers
AM2 4600+, 2gb DDR2@667mhz, Asus 7600GT 256gb, Asus M2N-E SLI Deluxe, 2x250gb, 1x500gb SataII
hanstatdg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanstatdg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 3:20am
Thanks.

Nice shots, but EGLL is empty of traffic. I wonder what the effect would be if you added Ultimate Traffic's traffic file and aircraft to it.

Framerates of about 9 are marginal for such dense default scenery, but are acceptable - just. Adding anything else might cause jerkiness.

I still think that FSX is waiting for a powerful computer with software and hardware which isn't yet available.
David Hanstater
Administrator.
samrec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 9:52am

Indeed, I loaded FSX at EGLL at about 6:40am and I don't have installed the UT FS2004 files to FSX.  I would rather wait for the full FSX version when it becomes available.

I will probably change my cpu for the 5200+ in the next 2-3 months. And the new cheaper 8xxx cards with 320mb of video are becoming available too. 

Probably the slow performance of FSX is due to the fact that it was meant to originally run on DX10 wich has a bigger code bandwidth than DX9 so that could also be a possibility. But will also mean I will need to change my video as well to the 8xxx series.

I do agree with you, I had the same experience with FS9, it took a while, about 1.5 years, for hardware to catch up with it. Just now I'm able to run it with all sliders at max on my system.

cheers

HandsB View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HandsB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 10:48am

Maybe this comes a bit late but it might still help some people. Did wonders on my game :)

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92413

runway8 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runway8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 1:36pm
I am looking for a more easy way to do this and I cant get a reply I want to add those lines to the terrain autogen.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic